Benefits of Avocados

Avocado fruit ready to eat

Avocados are packed with nutrients and healthy fatty acids. The health benefits of avocados are unique for the fruit family. Most fruits have a very low fat contact, but avocados are packed with healthy fats. A regular intake of polyunsaturated is good for your brain, heart, skin, and hair. Check out our article on the benefits of omega-3 fats for more details. Also, many studies have been conducted that show avocado’s potential to lower LDL cholesterol (The bad stuff), and raise HDL cholesterol (The good stuff). Nutritionists and medical professionals recommend that a regular intake of the fruit to achieve full avocado health benefits.

Avocado Nutritional and Health Benefits

Rich in Antioxidants
Glutathione, a powerful antioxidant, is found at high levels in avocados. Research has shown that glutathione plays an important role in the prevention of many types of cancer. Cancer research has shown avocados to have a promising effect on prevention of oral cancer.  

Healthy Hair
The fatty acids present in the fruit are critical to strong, healthy hair. People with diets lacking in essential fatty acids often encounter problems with brittle, dry, and simply unattractive hair.

More Potassium than Bananas 
Believe it or not… Avocados actually contain about 60% more potassium than bananas per piece of fruit. Potassium is a crucial mineral in the human diet and plays an important role in breaking down sodium.

Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention
The high content of health fats in avocado can help keep arteries clear of plaque. Excessive plaque buildup in arteries is directly responsible for the heart attacks and strokes. Also, the high folic acid (folate) content of avocados has been show to have stroke prevention abilities.  

Excellent Source of B Vitamins and E Vitamins
Both B and E vitamins have been proved to have a positive impact on skin and eye health. Avocados are an excellent source of these vital nutrients and will keep you looking and feeling healthy.

High in Dietary Fiber
Avocados are rich in dietary fiber. 75% of the fiber content is insoluble, which is partly responsible for the cholesterol and heart health benefits. The other 25% is soluble fiber, which promotes healthy digestion.

High in Healthy Fats
Last but not lease, avocados are loaded with healthy fats, which include polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. In fact, about 75% of the calories come from fat. These essential fats are crucial for healthy brain function and DNA repair. Learn more about healthy fats here.

Learn more about Avocado Benefits

Nutritional Facts of Avocados

Health Benefits of Avocados

We hope this article helped you learn more about the benefits of avocados.